STAND News Editor
(Deadline 26 April 2019)
Reports to: STAND ENGAGEMENT & MARKETING MANAGER
Location: AUNGIER STREET, DUBLIN
STAND celebrates the power of ordinary people to change the world. We support third-level students to stand up for justice and equality, learn more about important global issues, and find out what they can do to take positive action.
We do this by running a range of activities (see below) in collaboration with students at third-level campuses across Ireland. We are now looking to build on our existing support to empower more students across Ireland to STAND for what they believe in. We are a not-for-profit initiative.
- STAND Student Festival: annual film and art exhibition for students highlighting global justice issues.
- STAND Global Issues Course: part-time evening course for students who want to change the world.
- STAND Ideas Collective: helps students turn their ideas into solutions to the world’s problems.
- STAND News: online news magazine for students who are passionate about equality and justice.
ABOUT STAND NEWS
The aim of STAND News is to provide a dynamic space for students in Ireland to learn more about global issues and to share stories that celebrate and connect ordinary people doing extraordinary things to make the world a better place. STAND News content comes from voluntary contributors and section editors drawn mostly from third-level campuses, but also from the NGO sector and other disciplines.
The purpose of the part-time STAND News Editor internship role is to manage the STAND News online magazine, with support from STAND staff. The successful candidate will be passionate about global justice, highly organised and have experience working in a newsroom environment. The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content. The internship will be for a minimum of months depending on the successful candidates availability.
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
- Coordinate online publishing cycle, manage content areas and meet deadlines
- Recruit and manage writers and reporters, including monthly editorial meeting
- Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
- Cooperate and liaise with contributors, STAND staff and stakeholders
- Suggest stories in line with STAND’s aims and target audience
- Edit and improve content and ensure it is checked for style, accuracy and errors
- Oversee visuals (photography, video, graphics and artwork), including adhering to copyright laws
- Post stories to website (WordPress) and on social media channels when necessary
- Monitor and report on monthly online engagement targets (Facebook Insights, Twitter for Business, Google Analytics)
- Proven experience as an editor
- Excellent written skills and strong editing/proofreading skills
- Excellent organisational skills and an ability to multitask and prioritise a varied workload
- Familiarity with updating a website and using social media
- Excellent people skills and an ability to manage and motivate a team
- Experience with InDesign or Photoshop
- Familiarity with tracking tools such Facebook Insights, Twitter for Business, Google Analytics
- Familiarity with Mailchimp or other email marketing tools
Although this is a unpaid internship, STAND will cover the cost of travel expenses and provide a small per diem rate paid monthly.
Please complete an online application form here.