TAKE YOUR ACTION ONE STEP FURTHER
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How is the Program structured?
There are three core strands to the programme:
- The Ideas Collective workshops (where the group learning happens)
- The Ideas for Change Showcase (where you pitch your idea to a panel of judges for cash prizes!) and
- Life Coaching (where you can choose to avail of monthly one-to-one personal development sessions with a Life Coach)
The Ideas Collective workshops take place online during summer 2021 on weekends from June to August. There will be opportunities to come together in person if Government guidelines allow.
The Ideas for Change Showcase event takes place in late September, where participants pitch their ideas to a panel of judges in order to compete to win seed funding of €1000 for their project.
The one-to-one Life Coaching sessions run throughout the programme from June to November, once a month, at a time that is convenient for participants. Our coaching programme will allow participants to actively work towards their goals, boost their confidence, provide them with the space to talk through issues and self-reflect, and allow them to gain and improve on skills. We recommend at least six hours of coaching from June – November 2021..
What kind of modules will be covered in the Workshops?
You will cover the following topics:
- Deep dive into understanding local & global challenges through the lens of the UN Sustainable Development Goals
- Focused sessions on thematic issues (Climate, Inclusion & Mental Health)
- Understanding & unpacking ‘wicked’ problems
- Cultivating the right mindsets (understanding mental models, biases)
- Design Thinking – research and generating ideas
- Building & testing prototypes
- Marketing your project
- Communicating & pitching your idea
- Building your network
- Financing your project
- Managing change and positive team-building
What is the schedule & time commitment?
- Welcome evening: Thursday 10th June
- June – August:
6 weekends of live online workshops in the mornings, with independent / group work in the afternoons. Workshops will take place online with opportunities for in-person activities if guidelines allow.
19 & 20 June
3 & 4 July
17 & 18 July
7 & 8 August
21 & 22 August
4 & 5 September
Monthly one-to-one personal development coaching sessions with your life coach
- Showcase: End of September 2021
You’ll be expected to commit to approx 4 hours per week of working on your project between group workshops.
Who can apply?
We are looking for participants who are
- Curious about global issues such as inequality, climate change, migration and health
- Prepared to dig deep into the problem they are trying to solve
- Ready to learn, be stretched and have your assumptions challenged
- Passionate about making a difference
- Motivated to take action
You must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Be resident in the Republic of Ireland.
- Be enrolled in an Irish third-level institution OR be a recent graduate (up to 1 year)
- Be able to commit to a six-month programme and fully participate in ALL group sessions.
- Commit at least 4 hours/week (outside the workshops) to working on your project.
- Be prepared to take action for one of the award categories
- Be interested in exploring issues and project ideas from a global perspective
- Have a detailed description of the action you wish to take
What kind of projects can enter?
We welcome ideas and projects which fall into one (or more!) of the following categories:
Just some examples of the kinds of projects we have supported in the past (yours could be different!):
You can see examples of past projects here.
You can also see more information of the three award categories, here.
Do I need to have a clear idea before applying?
You don’t need a fully developed idea or project to apply – but you should have the seeds of one! Even if you don’t have a fully refined idea, we do encourage participants to think about what your project might look like, so that you have something to work with when you sign up. Ask yourself – what is the problem that I am trying to solve? How might I go about solving it?
We also welcome participants with a more developed idea or project who are in the early stages of implementation, and are ready to take it to the next level.
Keep in mind that your idea is likely to evolve or change over the course of the programme!
How are participants selected?
Participants will be interviewed on a rolling basis once applications are open. Places will also be offered on a rolling basis, so early applications are encouraged.
Do I have to take part in the Ideas for Change pitching event?
No – participants are not obliged to take part in the Showcase event – but you are encouraged to do so!
How much does it cost - and what’s included in the price?
The full cost of the programme is over €500 – but is heavily subsidised for participants thanks to support from Irish Aid. Prices can be found below:
EARLY BIRD (until 23rd April)
Students* €55 / Recent Grads** €65 / Non-students €235
LATE BIRD (until 24th May)
Students* €70 / Recent Grads** €80 / Non-students €250
20 % discount per person available for group applications up to four people.
*Students must be due to graduate 2022 or later.
**Recent grads must have graduated in 2020 or 2021
Included in the cost is:
- 45+ hours of training and workshops spread over weekends throughout the summer (Jun, Jul, Aug)
- Your own dedicated 1-to-1 coach for six months (Jun-Nov)
- Talks & guidance by experienced entrepreneurs and experts
- The chance to develop valuable personal and professional skills
- Support and resources from STAND staff and their peers in the collective
- Support in developing your pitch and the opportunity to win €1000 of seed funding for your project
How can I find out more/apply?
Find out more:
Sign up to an online Info Session . We have two online webinars to choose from, Monday 29th March and Wednesday 14th April, both from 7-8pm. You’ll get a chance to chat to the STAND team, find out more information, and hear from past participants. All welcome! Be sure to select your preferred date when booking through Eventbrite.
*The deadline for Round 1 Applications is 5PM FRIDAY 23rd APRIL 2021. Early bird rates apply!
*The deadline for Round 2 applications is 5PM MONDAY 24th MAY 2021. Please note that Round 2 applications will only open in the event that spaces have not been filled in round 1. Places will be limited so early application for Round 1 is encouraged. Full price rates apply.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis so early applications are encouraged! There will be a competitive recruitment process with individual / group interviews taking place from March onwards.
If you have questions about any aspect of the programme, please get in touch with our Activities Manager, Caitriona, at email@example.com.